Sunday, August 23, 2009

Molding my dreams

Often with the last dream of the night, when the dream is over and I slip into semi-consciousness, if there was something intriguing going on in the dream, I will deliberately continue the dream and coax it into a direction I'd like it to go in. In that half-dreaming, half-awake state, my imagination is absolutely fluid, and I can see clearly in the dream whatever it is that I construct for myself.

For example, this morning my last dream was about travelling in an exotic European town, where a notorious criminal was going to be executed. I was hoping to do some shopping, but I was also curious to learn more about the execution. I was also a little nervous about my travel plans, and wanted to make sure I made it to the train station on time to get to my next destination.

In a souvenir shop in the train station, I met an Englishman and we started talking. He convinced me that I should fly with him back to England, leaving earlier than I had intended to. He wanted to introduce me to his girlfriend. I said I would and we agreed to meet later that day to head to the airport together.

Then I took the viewpoint of a third person, and I witnessed one of the two other men - I'm not sure whether it was me or the Englishman - changing his mind and not wanting to travel to England together. Returning to myself in the dream, as the time approached to meet the Englishman I wandered around near the train station, anxious as to whether he was going to show up. I saw a plastic bag being blown around on the breeze, which I surmised must be him, and I chased the plastic bag as it blew high beyond my grasp. Finally I was able to grab it, and I felt sure I would convince him to honor his commitment to travel with me. But how could I communicate with a plastic bag? How could I make him turn back into a person? That was the end of the dream.

In the after-dream, I decided to explore the question of why the Englishman wanted me to travel with him. I didn't like the idea of spending time alone with him and his girlfriend - there have been many times of late when I have spent times with couples, and grow tired of being the odd man out. So I decided that his girlfriend must have a girlfriend that they wanted to fix me up with. I imagined what she would look like, how old she would be, and what sort of personality she would have. I imagined how magical it would be to meet her when we arrived at the airport in England.

And then I woke up finally, feeling very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment